Monday, April 9, 2007

The Gretchen 2.0 Kickoff Party










Well, it's been over a week since
the Gretchen 2.0 Kickoff party, and I guess most of us have recovered. It was a great day in LaGrange, TX and I could not be more grateful to everyone who came out. A very big thanks to Mike and Corey, our hosts, and Mike's aunt Bonnie Farmer for all they did to get ready. Thanks also to Sharon and Susan for all the hard work setting up, sending the invitations and getting food and drinks! There are many, many more people to thank for all the contributions and gifts, too many to list.
It turned out to be beautiful day in LaGrange, but before the party we were not sure the weather was going to cooperate. In fact, at 3AM that morning there was a storm unlike any I have ever experienced in Texas, at least in the past year. We were pretty sure that if the party went on, we might miss it because we we were going to be blown away by a tornado. In fact, LaGrange received almost 4 inches of rain that night vs. Austin and Bastrop which got less than 1-1/2 inches. We awoke in the morning relieved to see the tent standing, but unfortunately it was surrounded by some water activity resembling the Mekong Delta. I was pretty sure people would be mud wrestling by the end of the day - which was either going to be a hoot or a bad visual. But after 4 trips to LaGrange Tractor and Feed, and about 20 bags of wood chips, the sun hit the ground and it was all almost dry by afternoon.
The party also included the latest tour stop for the band, The Gretchen Miller Project, formerly known as Five Married Guys and a Single Guy. They are Andrew Bowins, Dean Kline, Vance Morton, Marco Pena, Lee Sellers and Mary Kay Hyde. Greg Kettler was the Roadie of the Day, and we could not have pulled it off without him. The band allowed rogue singers to join them onstage, which I do not think helped in getting future gigs, though Nina Pena and the young Pearsons are showing promise.
There are a lot more pictures of the party, and you can see them and post yours at gretchen2dot0.dell.shutterfly.com.
I'm starting to think about topics for future posts. I know from my Blog Mentoring Session with Richard Binhammer that I need to post regularly, at least once a week. Upcoming posts will include "Planning your Southeast Asia Trip Using Discount Websites" and "How to Be Very Busy Doing Nothing At All." Please post yours!

3 comments:

WallineFamily said...

Gretchen--you are not going to believe this but I think I've been to that house in LaGrange. One of my close friends as a child was Allison Farmer (who had a Mom named Bonnie) and I visited her family's house in LaGrange when I was 8. I'm going to have to ask Mike. For all I know we were there at the same time back in 1983.

Glad you are having a great time!Our family blog is http://walline.blogspot.com/

-Erin

Fifi said...

G - I'm looking forward to hearing how busy you are doing "absolutely" nothing. Please don't exhaust yourself :) Seriously, this sabbatical is so well deserved. Enjoy your time off. Love the blog. Can't wait for Asia!
Fifi

michelle pearcy said...

hey there gretchen! I just took my first peek at your blog - very cool! I am green with envy. Have fun in Asia and please be sure to keep us posted on your travels so we can all live vicariously through you and your sabbatical!