Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Khao Lak, Thailand





So far, this is the best sunset picture I've been able to take. It is from Khao Lak, Thailand just over a week ago. It's notable because (a) it's beautiful and (b) Khao Lak looks nothing like it did about 2-1/2 years ago. This beach, about an hour north of Phuket, was the worst hit in the Asian tsunami of December 2004. You can see the imagery and read more at: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/khaolak-imagery.htm.


I've never been to Phuket and the beaches, and I was curious to see what has happened since that terrible tragedy. I read about Khao Lak in Travel and Leisure, where it got rave reviews and assurances that all evidence of tsunamis is long gone. Best of all, the chance of a recurrence any time in like the next 10,000 years is almost nonexistent. So, I felt pretty safe.

Sharon and I stayed at the Le Meridien Resort in Khao Lak, and we loved it! Especially the value and quality of the spa treatments, which I have to say gave the International Big Kahuna of spas, the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dheva, a run for the prize. We loved the Thai and Asian food, and Sharon especially liked the Bailey's even though they have skimpy pours. (Someone please post to the blog and explain how calories do not count when you are on vacation...)

It's almost true there is no evidence of the tsunami, at least in the resort area. I took a walk down the beach and took a few photos that might provide a clue about what


Notice how you can see the roots on this tree, but it's growing new ones and still alive...
These are not small branches and they are buried many feet deep in the sand.

Here is a honking big tree that has not been removed yet, I think people were busy putting the resorts back together...


Overall, I had a great time in Thailand and consider it my favorite set of stops on the trip - mostly because of the people and natural beauty of the place. Stay tuned for more on Bali soon!


No comments: