Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bula from Fiji

Bula (hello) from Fiji!

Everyone says travel's not what it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I wonder, even I don't really belive it in my heart. I still love travel.

At the moment I'm on Denarau Island, Fiji, staying at a fabulous resort. My dear pal Sharon is en route even as we speak, and tomorrow we'll go to another island and another fabulous resort. So life is good.

Except for two small things:

1. I have no baggage and have not had my stuff for two days now.
2. It is pissing rain.

I can deal with #2. let's face it, I'm no sun goddess. And #1 was sort of funny yesterday. Today, it's less funny. You have to realize I have all my things for six weeks of travel in some fairly diverse climates, and that's a lot of stuff if you're me. The worst part is, no one at Air Pacific (Fiji's official airline, not the most sophisticated enterprise ever) seems to have a definite idea on when exactly the baggage might arrive. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not...

In the mean time, they're giving me $50 Fijian dollars per day to spend however I want. That's about US $35 for all you currency junkies. I got this great outfit, fashion police look out!

On the plus side, the book is coming along well. Here is one place where I have been writing:

Which looks out at this:

I'm sure it's even nicer in the sunlight. I'll let you know. And in any case, it;s right outside my room. So I'll stop complaning now and go have a cocktail.

No comments: