Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bondi Bohemian

Several folks have been asking how things are going now that I am traveling solo. Here is the update.
After being looked after 24 x 7 by Backroads, some adjustment had to happen. There was also the matter of budget air travel very early in the morning which landed me here in Sydney even earlier (2 hour time difference). So it is no wonder I was feeling dazed and confused upon arrival.
Let's just say the flat I rented in Bondi Beach is not going to earn a Travel & Leisure award soon. About 300 square feet, it is fine for one and maybe two people. Problem is, the rest of the apartments in the building seem to have 3-4 people living in them, all under the age of 25. The place is just plain LOUD. And it's not a design icon, either.

I should have mentioned the part about the hot plate and coin laundry, but another time. On the plus side, even though the elevator is about 100 years old and on the verge of breakdown, there is a good view while you wait for it:


Nonetheless, I have embraced my surroundings and the neighborhood, and am coping quite well despite no hair dryer (request for which was turned down by the landlords) and no coffee maker. Actually, there is a a coffee maker, it is just located in Barry's downstairs. I have adopted Barry's as my personal cafe... they make a mean flat white. Yummy!

Right. So, the objective has been, spend as little time in the house as possible! No problem, we are in Sydney and there is plenty to do and see. I have mastered the needed buses, adding to my repetoire with Cap Metro in Austin.

Saturday, I traveled by train to the Blue Mountains and got in a 4 hour hike - very strenuous. Reason being 1) to get to the trails you hike up and down 1000 steps each way and b) the trails are not very well marked, which results in extra mileage and about 35 seconds where you wonder if you might have to be rescued. Eeeek. Great workout though.

Sunday, I went to church at the Anglican Church in my neighborhood, St. Matthews. There were only about 12 people there, since it was only 8:30 in the morning. Everyone was very nice and they invited me for coffee and muffins afterwards, which of course I accepted. I extended everyone an open invite to St.David's if they are ever in Austin.

Sunday afternoon, I attended the New South Wales Wine Festival in Hyde Park. Great time, thanks to Chris Seton for the recco!

Monday saw more sighsteeing around Sydney including the neighborhoods of Paddington, Surry Hills, Kings Cross, Chinatown and Darlinghurst. All good times. My favorite activity has been visiting bottle shops looking for Samuel's Gorge wine from McLaren Vale. I have not found it so far, but am determined to score a bottle before I leave.

Chris and Ginni Seton hosted me for an awesome dinner at their beautiful home in Tamarama last night. It was great to meet Ginni, and to be reunited with yet another of the Vietnam by Bike gang. Everyone is excited for the weekend at Mark and Heather's in Milton, where we will be crushing grapes! Yeee hah!


The weather here could not be more perfect! Today, Tuesday, was Beach Day. From my place in Bondi, I walked to Clovelly Beach (about an hour hike) and ran back through Bronte and to North Bondi. That was about a 45 minute run, so I'm calling it equal to a Sunday run with the normal gang. This afternoon I have bummed around Bondi, had a massage, looked at the ocean, blah blah...

Since this is for sure my last post until I am on American soil, I have two things to say:
1. To all the friends I met along the way, new and less new - thank you! This was an experience to be remembered.
2. To the folks at home, I love you and miss you, and will be home soon.

Signing off for now...

-GThis is where I plan to stay next time...

No comments: